The new university theatre and activity centre replaces the existing guild of students. As part of a master-plan of the campus many of the social and administrative functions of the existing guild have been relocated elsewhere on the campus. This scheme expands upon the remain functions of the guild, modernising and expanding the performance spaces, as well as provided a much needed expansion in the space available for societies to run activities.
The existing guild was made up of two parts, a 1913 listed building and a more recent extension. The new scheme retains the listed part, restoring its rear facade and creating a covered foyer between it and the new structure.
The building was conceived as a series of volumes which echo the exposed volumes of the Reilly Building. These volumes contain space for activities which require privacy, such as theatre and dance. Found space is created between, above & below these volumes, allowing for activities to take place all around the building, and for other users to get a glimpse of other activities taking place throughout the building.
To increase the sense of inclusiveness and connection with the university campus, a permeable ground floor created by using a fully suspended curtain wall structure, which is stopped at first floor level,